As part of the Bruce Highway Upgrade – Caloundra Road to Sunshine Motorway (CR2SM), significant works are required under the Bruce Highway bridges between Pignata and Frizzo roads in Palmview (also known as the Pignata Road underpass).
A temporary road closure is required at the underpass so that extensive drainage and excavation works can be undertaken safely and efficiently. Excavators will dig approximately three metres below the existing road under the highway.
The project team investigated a number of options to construct the new underpass including a staged approach under a single lane operation or alternatively, a full underpass closure.
A full closure of the Pignata Road underpass was the preferred option as it will reduce the period of time that works are likely to impact the nearby community and motorists by up to two months, while also ensuring safety is maintained.
Works are expected to begin in the week commencing 19 July 2020 and take approximately 6 to 8 weeks to complete, construction and weather conditions permitting
Both day and night works will be required to complete these works. The project’s working hours are:
• Night works: Sunday to Thursday, 7pm to 5am
• Day works: Monday to Saturday, 6am to 6pm.
It is important to note that these activities are dependent on weather conditions.
What to expect
Eastern side of Bruce Highway:
• Traffic seeking to travel north from the eastern side of the Bruce Highway will be detoured via the highway southbound, Exit 188 and the Bruce Highway northbound. Refer to map below.
• Traffic travelling from Pignata Road to Frizzo Road (westbound) will be detoured via the route above and northbound exit to Frizzo Road (Exit 190).
Western side of Bruce Highway:
• Traffic travelling south from the western side of the Bruce Highway may choose to use the local road network. An alternative route is available via the highway northbound, Exit 194, the Sippy Downs interchange, Sunshine Motorway westbound and Bruce Highway southbound. Refer to map below.
• Traffic travelling from Frizzo Road to Pignata Road (eastbound) will be detoured via the route above and southbound exit to Pignata Road (Exit 190).
• Traffic controllers will be present at times to assist motorists. Motorists are advised to follow directional signage and allow extra travel time.
Temporary lighting and audible noise
• Lighting towers will be used at night. Audible noise from construction activities and heavy machinery can be expected.